Thursday, February 17, 2011

Under the Influence...

As I progress with my library development project at TH, I am finding that more and more of the residents and staff are expressing their interest in the project. Many of them want to know when it will be finished, many of them have concerns for the amount of space delegated for the large number of books we've received, many of them what to know how they can get involved, and many of them want to make sure that this is not some fair-weather project that will fade and disappear after a couple of months of hype.

I am so excited about all of these inquiries and concerns because just one month ago, there were very few people, including staff and residents, who knew or even cared about this project. I feel in some way, whether it be through my presence, my persistence, or my passion for my work thus far, I have encouraged this community to embrace the idea of having such a resource within their ownership. In turn, I have also had to accept the fact that my connection with this organization has afforded me the responsibility to continue to provide it with service long after my project is "complete". And so I find that both I and TH are influencing the attitudes and behaviors of each other as separate entities, as well as in partnership.

What's more is that I don't think that either of us bargained for such a bright future when we started this thing :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment