Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Oh, how things change...

I'm at home, thinking about all of the tasks that I need to complete for the week, and I begin to drift off...thinking about what has transpired from January to now...

Then... I remember how then, at the beginning of my library development project, I couldn't fathom what this project might become. I remember setting (what I thought were) narrow and focused goals for myself and the end product of my work. I remember trying to come up with more ideas and tasks to help "beef up" my workload. I remember hoping to be able to stay involved with the organization beyond my internship. I remember wondering if I would know how to "be" a librarian, and whether this community even wanted one...

Now...I see that this project has become and will continue to become all that I dream it to be. I see that my thinking needs to embrace the tiniest of details in order to fully achieve my goals for this project. I see that as I open my mind to the possibilities, I have more than enough work ahead of me to keep me busy. I see and know that I have made such a connection with the staff and residents of this community that they now consider me one of their own. I see that I have embraced my inner librarian, that I have defined the role to suit my own model of the "information gatekeeper", and that this community needs me whether they know it or not! At this point, its not going to be easy to shake me :-)

With all of this said, I assert that my ideal self and real self now have a lessened gap between them. I still have plenty of work ahead of me, but I have realized the leader that I wish to become, and I am diligently working continually develop and improve her.

No comments:

Post a Comment